2.29.2012

The Lonely Crib

Yesterday Daddy asked where to put the box of spring clothes he dug out of the attic.

"Just toss it in the crib"

Then I wondered how the pretty crib we spent weeks picking out for Christopher ended up just being an oversize laundry bin.  I has been 4 years since it was assembled in the nursery with a pretty crib bumper and fancy mobile and I can't honestly remember any of my three boys spending an entire night in it.

Christopher was not a good sleeper, he spent most nights being rocked in his little bassinet at our bedside, we would be up in hour or so shifts, just rocking him.  After so many sleepless nights I was too tired to take him to the rocker to nurse at night so I started feeding him in bed. It wasn't long until I realized that if I fell asleep while nursing him he would sleep peacefully at my side for hours.

Hours.

That is how we ended up cosleeping,  It was either that or no sleeping and seriously there just isn't enough coffee in the world to make that decision.  I read the baby magazines at the doctors office, I felt like I was being accused of being a bad mom for not just putting him in his crib, shutting the door and letting him cry it out.  I never told anyone that we couldn't get him to sleep for more than 2 hours at a time and most of the time less than an hour. It's nothing to be ashamed of, but I was, I thought if I told you my baby doesn't sleep well that you would judge me for it.  I told people "he gets up once or twice" when I really meant he gets up once or twice an hour.  I refused to listen to him cry, it just seemed wrong, so I picked him up and brought him back to my bed and snuggled with him until he fell asleep, sometimes I would put him back in his bassinet, other times I would just keep him with me all night. When Chris was 9 months and walking we put the day bed side on the crib and put it at the foot of the bed, he would sleep there for a few hours and somehow eventually end up in our bed.

When Jacob was born we pulled out the bassinet and put it next to the bed, I would nurse him in our bed and put him back in the bassinet to sleep.  Once he was rolling over and pushing up to crawl I had him sleeping in the crib until he woke to eat and then just kept him in the bed.

If you are keeping count, that is four of us in one Queen sized bed.

Once Jacob was weened at a year, we picked up a toddler bed and put it at the foot of our bed next to the crib, the boys would fall asleep there and still eventually make it into our bed at some point.

Then came Dominic. While I was pregnant we moved a full size bed into the nursery for Chris & Jacob to share, finally I had enough room to stretch out my cramped legs.

Now I sleep in the Queen bed and Dominic sleeps in the pack & play in the same room. Daddy sleeps with the boys in their bed so he doesn't get woken up every time Dominic gets up.  Dominic nurses every 2-4 hours at night, sometimes he goes back in the pack & play, sometimes he stays with me.  The crib is full of laundry that needs to be put away.  The toddler bed is disassembled under my bed.  I have learned not to worry to much about how much they sleep or where they sleep.  We are happy, healthy and well rested and that is all that matters. 



1 comment:

  1. They're so sweet when sleeping! Visiting from the etsy team!

    ReplyDelete