5.22.2012

Flats Challenge: What's in my stash

I am participating in the Second Annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry.  For 7 days I will be using only flat cloth diapers and handwashing them in an effort to prove that cloth diapering can be affordable and accessible to all.
 
I spent the last two weeks preparing and planning, I started out with 10 cotton flannel receiving blankets, 8 cotton flour sack towels, 20 blue hospital towels, 10 homemade fleece soakers, 4 homemade wool soakers.  The receiving blankets were all gifts, four years ago, so they are well used, the flour sack towels were in my kitchen, I used them to filter fruit juice for jelly making.  The blue hospital towels were free from my Mom.  I made the fleece covers from old blankets and clothes. The wool soakers were made from thrift shop sweaters.  It probably cost me $5 in materials to make the soakers.  I am using all items I already had for washing and drying.


Now entering the second day of the challenge, I have found the biggest challenge is getting Jacob on the potty in time.  He has been wearing receiving blankets and flour sack towels, kite folded, with a blue towel pad folded inside, pinned, with a fleece soaker.  Although it is very effective as a diaper, it makes potty training impossible.  Today we are switching him to gDiaper covers with pad folded blue towels, which should make potty time easy and also means less to wash. WIN!

Dominic has been doing well in a blue towel, angel wing fold, with a snappi and a cover.  We have been alternating between fleece and wool soakers.  I prefer the wool because it doesn't need to be washed as often.

Washing. I have been rinsing after every change, then washing twice a day,  I have been using the sink, to wash, then soaking in a bucket, then rinsing and wringing in the sink.  It's tedious, but it did get my gardening hands amazingly clean.  I need to devise a better indoor drying solution. I am using pants hangers in the shower, so there is no circulation.  I was relying on my clothes line, but the weather has not been cooperating.

I like the fleece soakers, they are convenient and easy to wash.  They don't dry as quickly as a pul cover,  but the fact that they cover enough to be worn as shorts is awesome, especially in the summer.  I think fleece covers are an excellent solution for families trying to cloth diaper on a budget, they can be made very easily using the Katrina Pattern.  I just cut out fabric to make 10 more yesterday, out of old fleece blankets that have just been taking up space in the closet.  By the end of the week I should have all of them sewn up and ready to be donated along with the 10 others I have been using.  I am planning to have 25 covers ready to ship to Giving Diapers, Giving Hope by the end of the challenge.  Hopefully I have time after all the handwashing!

BTW,  Mother Nature, I am doing my best for you, a little SUNSHINE would be great right about now!

My clothes line looks miserable and lonely.

Hop on over to DLL for more challenge fun.
Day 2

And I leave you with a cute fluffy bum in a poorly folded flat.



4 comments:

  1. I feel you about the sunshine, its been raining and we really could use a little sun to help dry my flats!

    Trisha
    Momma T and Baby E

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously Mother Nature! We need the sun too! : )

    I love that you are using the hospital towels! My husband brought home six for me, and I with I had more!

    And I am so impressed that you are making all those fleece covers! I have been trying to think of something to make to donate that doesn't cost too much; I may just follow in your foot steps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LMAO. I'm with you on the sunshine. Its rained the last two afternoons. Looking forward to some sunshine the next couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just visiting from the challenge! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete